HINDI pa tapos ang laban sa coronavirus. At sa gitna nang paghihintay sa bakuna laban dito, tuloy ang programa ng Games and Amusements Board (GAB) para sa pagsulong ng professional sports sa bansa.
“Kabuhayan ng ating mga atleta ang nakataya rito kaya kami naman sa GAB ay handang umayuda sa kanilang pagbabalik sa aksyon. Ngunit, hindi po puwedeng basta –batas lang, we need to continue and strengthen our program adhere to the implementing rules and regulation with the Inter-Agency Task Force concerning safety and health protocol,” pahayag ni GAB Chairman Abraham ‘Baham’ Mitra.
“Walang puwang ang pagkakamali laban sa COVID-19,” ayon kay Mitra.
Para masiguro ang maayos at ligtas na programa para sa mga pagsasanay at kompetesyon ng mga atleta, ipinalabas ng GAB ang siyam na isyu na kailangang maipatupad ng masinsin ng ahensiya para mapanatili ang kaayusan sa sektor ng pro sports.
Narito ang mahahalagang isyu na babantayan ng GAB.
1) Implementation of the Supplemental Guidelines to JAO No. 2020-0001. This will clarify the rules governing the holding athletic bubble and training.
2) The launching of new professional leagues ( Beach Volleyball Republic (BVR), Weaponize MMA Fighting or Juego Todo, Pilipinas Vismin Super Cup, and pingpong)
3) We will continue to promote a gender-neutral Philippine pro sports: Background: Now, besides the top-level professional men’s sports associations like PBA and PFL, many all-women sports leagues chose to embrace professional status during the last quarter of 2020, like the first-ever professional volleyball league in the Philippines (Premier Volleyball League), Professional Chess Association of the PH (PCAP)’s Palawan Queen’s Gambit, and Women’s National Basketball League. This is more than just a trend, it could be one of our legacies. It is about time to say this–Philippine sports is already gender-neutral and 2021 is the perfect time to empower our women professional athletes and put them on the center stage.
4) Partnership with Philippine Red Cross: Blood Donation Drive: We are working with the Philippine Red Cross to launch our partnership this year. According to our friends from the Red Cross, their blood stocks are now at a critical level due to the pandemic, so we will definitely encourage our healthy pro athletes, sports officials, and GAB personnel to join this upcoming event.
5) GAB Electronic Governance Mechanism: We are pushing for a contactless system in terms of our license application and renewal processes in order to reduce the possible transmission of Covid-19– and of course, to promote efficiency and convenience in the delivery of our basic services to the public. This project includes online medical consultation in terms of application and renewal of GAB licenses.
6) Virtual public consultation & information drive campaign (Kamustahan sa GAB)- As part of our online campaign, we will continue to work closely with our stakeholders to know more about their concerns. We will continue to hold our weekly Kamustahan sa GAB and conduct webinars, virtual training, among others to help our pro athletes and sports officials keep abreast of developments about sports laws, rules, and regulations.
7) Partnership with DOH ( Free Medicals and Neurological Services to Pinoy Fighters): Our Medical Section has once again requested the assistance of DOH to provide free medical, CT-Scan, neurological ,and laboratory services to our professional boxers, MMA, and muay thai fighters.
8) The Implementation of Special Guest License(SGL): We also have our GAB Resolution No. 2020- 002 or A Resolution Approving the issuance of Special Guest License (SGL) to allow Amateur Players to play in professional Sports and Games for Training Purposes and for a limited time period. This resolution will promote professional leagues at the collegiate levels.
9) Finally, we will be amending the 10 yr old Implementing Rules & Regulations of Presidential Decree No. 871 or the law granting GAB the authority to regulate and supervise professional basketball and other professional games in the country. We will work to incorporate the code of conduct for professional athletes, update the provisions, among others, in order to keep with the developments.
-Edwin G. Rollon